Friday, October 23, 2009

Remodeling our Bathroom

So we are starting to make progress on the bathroom renovations. Before I start making the smaller selections like tile, paint, lighting, etc - we need to decide if we are going for a more contemporary or traditional design. Whatever we decide to do in the Bathroom obviously needs to be carried over into the Kitchen.

Our building is over 100 years old, so a more traditional look would work well with the historical nature of the building. However we live in the city and modern design just seems more urban. I think both designs will appeal to future buyers when we go to sell in a few years.

So the main piece that will set the design tone of the room is the bathroom vanity. We've narrowed it down to 2 options. Unfortunately our bathroom is tiny, so we only have enough room for a 42" vanity.

First the contemporary option:


What I like about this vanity is its clean lines. However it really doesn't offer much in the way of storage, which could be a problem considering the amount of cosmetics I have and the general lack of storage in our condo.

The Traditional Option: A traditional cabinet vanity.


These are cherry cabinets in a dark wood stain. The door style is very traditional, however I could use a more contemporary door style to make it more transitional.


This gives a bit of an idea of what the vanity would look like. Clearly this option has a lot more storage, however I'm not sure I like the way just one cabinet door looks in the middle, but I do like all those drawers!

Please tell me which one you think we should pick!

3 comments:

  1. I think I would go for the more traditional option. I like it better---with the darker stain. I would go for the option with more storage in your case. I think the modern could end up looking cluttered if you don't have a lot of storage elsewhere, and that would take away from the overall look and appeal.
    ~Emily

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with Emily. I vote modern. It's more your style, and more what condos are doing these days for resale purposes. Additionally, I bet you guys can find a modern vanity that is more closed for storage. Similar to the entertainment center you just got.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kendall! I'm home sick today and finally got a chance to check out your design website and saw the link to your blog! Fun! ...I decided I would weigh in the vanity as well (love the modern look!) It would be really beautiful in your place! Also, the orchids are gorgeous! I'll have to check that nursery out sometime... -Brett

    ReplyDelete