Friday, October 29, 2010

Hardware

So my friend Kelli brought up a good point. Its hard to pick a pendant when you don't know the other finishes in the kitchen, most importantly the hardware. So below are pictures of the handles and knobs we picked for the cabinets. Andrew and I are probably going to have to install these ourselves which will be interesting.


G.W. Aldeen

You may not know this about me, but cabinet hardware holds a special place in my heart. Not just because its the "jewelry" of home design, but because my great-grandfather started one of the largest American hardware companies. Its called Amerock, and I've made it a rule to use their hardware exclusively! My Great-Grandfather G.W. Aldeen immigrated to the states directly from Sweden. He possessed a creative and inventive mind and after working at a door and lock company, him and his brother Reuben started their own company. It is believed to be the first company dedicated completely to making cabinet hardware. Amerock was founded in the fall of 1929, just mere months before the great stockmarket crash of '29, however despite in spite of this the company had great success. The company was sold in the '70's and is currently owned by the same parent company that owns Rubbermaid. It's always astounding to me that my Great-Grandfather came to America with only $25 in his pocket and was able to learn English and start an extremely successful company in his lifetime. Should it interest you, you can read more about Amerock here.

Below are pictures of the hardware I chose:

Drawer pulls

Cabinet Knobs

No comments:

Post a Comment